At a glance
11 Day expedition voyage on RCGS Resolute, One Ocean Expeditions from £8,740 pp
Departure 01 March 2019 | Antarctic Peninsula Adventure
Fares are cruise-only unless otherwise stated. Contact us to add flights and tailor-make your holiday.
- Drake Passage
- Antarctic Peninsula
- Deception Island
- Cape Horn
All departures (3)
Antarctic Peninsula Adventure
Photography Symposium Voyage
Photography Symposium Voyage
Antarctica is every photographers dream - towering glaciers, immense icebergs, outstanding wildlife encounters and gorgeous natural light, providing the perfect conditions for budding photographers of all abilities. This unique itinerary has been designed to make the most of the exceptional photography opportunities possible in Antarctica, with a particular focus on landscape photography, wildlife, nature and astrophotography.
In addition to the usual onboard staff, this departure offers a broad spectrum of professional photography guides and special guests. Experts in their field offer fantastic insight and advice on this unique program in an incredible destination. The program includes daily pre-excursion meetings, dedicated photographic zodiacs, specialty landings and excursions based on light, interactive workshops and group or personal reviews. The photographers focus on engagement, with a hands-on approach and have a great deal of experience running photography workshops.
PHOTOGRAPHY SYMPOSIUM WORKSHOPS
With over a decade of photography workshop experience, Dave Brosha, Paul Zizka and the rest of team have taught and worked on all seven continents. They are hands on, relentlessly innovative and help guide their guests beyond obvious images, to the realm of unique and compelling story telling. The workshops are led in an encouraging and fun environment, with technical and creative support provided for budding photographers of all abilities.
- Complimentary pre-voyage hotel stay at the five-star Arakur in Ushuaia
- A per person travel credit of US$1200 and US$50 dining/spa credit
- Comprehensive pre-voyage information package including details to help you prepare for your trip
- Transfers from a central meeting point in Punta Arenas on Day 1 and from the port in Ushuaia to the airport (or a downtown hotels) at the conclusion of your voyage on Day 13
- Shipboard accommodation in your selected cabin category with daily housekeeping. Cabins feature outside views with windows or portholes
- All breakfasts, lunches and dinners on board throughout your voyage with daily afternoon tea
- 24 hour tea, coffee, hot chocolate in bar/lounge plus in cabin tea and coffee making facilities
- Experienced Expedition Leader and professional expedition team of marine bioligists, naturalists, historians, adventure guides and photographers
- Daily off-ship excursions by Zodiac boat breaking into small groups for shore landings
- Guided hikes and walks on shore of various durations for guests of all abilities
- Visits to wildlife colonies, historic sites, places of outstanding natural beauty and community visits
- Educational presentations and talks by polar experts in their fi eld (ie. marine biologists, naturalists, historians etc). Onboard or on shore
- Resident photography guide available to assist all guests plus access to computers in the multimedia lab for image downloads, file back up and management
- An emergency trained Physician onboard every voyage
- Dedicated hospitality team including Hotel Manager, four chefs, professional bar staff and Adventure Concierge staff
- Onboard sauna, plunge pool, Jacuzzi and fitness centre including massage options (charge applies for massage and treatments)
- Sea Kayaking programme available (additional charge of US$795pp) – must be reserved at the time of booking your voyage and you must have some prior paddling experience
- Access to well stocked library full of polar reference books
- End of voyage video, photos and take home USB
- Port fees and all permits to access visited areas
- Expedition Gear Package
This Antarctic cruise explores the Antarctic Peninsula over a period of 10 nights/11 days. A classic itinerary for whale watching, seabird viewing, visiting penguin colonies and experiencing zodiac excursions in Antarctica. Camping in Antarctica is included.
This voyage visits many of the classic landing locations along the Antarctica Peninsula such as Paradise Harbour, Neko Harbour and the Errera Channel. Ice conditions permitting, we always attempt a transit of the Lemaire Channel, the gateway to the southern jewels of Petermann Island and Pleneau Island. In the company of our expert guides, we spend our days exploring in small groups, by zodiac boat and on shore, enjoying walks and hikes to scenic locations and visiting busy wildlife colonies. Sea kayaking and overnight camping are also popular activities on this itinerary.
Day by day itinerary
Arrive in Ushuaia, Argentina, the world’s most southerly city, where you board your expedition ship. In the early evening we set sail along the Beagle Channel and push out into the Drake Passage, direction Antarctica. | If your journey commences in the southern Chilean port city of Punta Arenas, we gather at a central meeting point and transfer to the wharf where we embark our expedition ship.
Giant petrels, albatross and smaller Cape petrels are our companions as we transit the Drake Passage. Join the ship’s Captain on the bridge and learn about the operations of our modern research vessel. Throughout the day our onboard experts educate us with a series of presentations about the environment, wildlife and history.
Take a deep breath – you have arrived. Welcome to Antarctica! This morning the magnificent snowy peaks are laid out before us. It’s a a truly awesome sight. The waterways of the Antarctic Peninsula are home to deep bays, pristine coves and inlets and numerous small islands. The Gerlache coastline features heavily glaciated mountains permanently covered in ice and snow. Rocky outcrops are home to gentoo, adelie and chinstrap penguin rookeries and the waters are rich in marine life. We frequently encounter seals, including the powerful leopard seal. Curious humpback whales and the smaller minke whales are present much of the time as they feed on the vast schools of krill. Sightings of orca are not uncommon. Every day we plan an exciting range of activities including guided hikes on shore and visits to wildlife colonies with our expert naturalist guides. The historic huts and science stations located along the peninsula provide a fascinating glimpse into the past and potential future. Zodiac cruising among the ice searching for seals and whales is amemorable activity. Meanwhile, the sea kayakers may range several miles from the ship. Our resident photography guide will be on hand to help you with your camera setting and image composition. Somewhere along this stretch of coastline we plan a night on shore, camping in Antarctica. We have all the right gear and equipment and an expert team to make it happen - all you need is an adventurous spirit!
After several busy days of exploration along the Antarctic Peninsula, we head for the South Shetland Islands. If the weather conditions allow, we sail the ship into the flooded volcanic caldera at Deception Island, a very dramatic location. History is all around us as we explore the old whaling station, with its rusted relics and dilapidated wooden buildings.
As we make our way back to South America, the educational presentations continue and we enjoy an entertaining and memorable voyage recap by our Expedition Leader. If weather conditions allow, we hope to make a rounding of Cape Horn. It’s a fitting place to reflect on a wonderful expedition. Approaching the entrance to the Beagle Channel in early evening light, we enjoy a special dinner attended by the Captain of the ship.
In the early morning, we arrive into Ushuaia. It is time to say farewell to your crew and fellow travelers. Guests will be transported to their hotels or to the airport for return flights home.
Sailing on RCGS Resolute
In November 2018, a purpose built polar expedition vessel RCGS Resolute will join Akademik Ioffe and Akademik Sergey Vavilov under the One Ocean Expeditions banner, to offer the most capable, safe, and exclusive expedition cruise fleet in the industry.