At a glance
10 Day expedition voyage on Greg Mortimer, Aurora Expeditions from £6,685 pp
Departure 24 February 2020 | Antarctic Explorer - Fly the Drake Passage
Fares are cruise-only unless otherwise stated. Contact us to add flights and tailor-make your holiday.
- Punta Arenas
- Antarctic Peninsula
- Punta Arenas
Antarctic Explorer - Fly the Drake Passage
- Arrival transfer to hotel. One night pre-voyage accommodation (breakfast included)
- Transfer to airport and charter flight to King George Island
- Charter flight from King George Island to Punta Arenas. Transfer from airport to hotel and one night post-voyage accommodation in Punta Arenas
- Fully-serviced accommodation in your chosen stateroom
- Daily shore excursions, guided walks, Zodiac cruises
- An experienced team of destination specialists and activity leaders
- An informative and entertaining lecture program by our team of experts
- Daily breakfast, lunch and dinner including house wines, beers and soft drinks, afternoon tea and snacks
- Captain's Welcome and Farewell drinks including four-course dinner, house cocktails, house beer and wine, non-alcoholic beverages
- Pre-dinner drinks including canapes and bar snacks
- Complimentary 3-in-1 polar jacket
- Complimentary use of gumboots
- Complimentary use of fitness centre
- Complimentary access to on board expedition doctor and medical clinic
- Personalised photo book (post voyage)
- Entry fees to historic or tourist sites
- Port, pilotage charges and landing fees
- International or domestic flights to or within South America, unless specified
- Transfers not mentioned in the itinerary
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Passport, visa, reciprocity and vaccination charges
- Travel insurance or emergency evacuation charges
- Hotels and meals not included in itinerary
- Optional excursions not included in the itinerary
- Optional activity surcharges
- All items of a personal nature including but not limited to: alcoholic beverages and soft drinks (outside of dinner service), laundry services, personal clothing, medical expenses, gratuities, and email or phone charges.
This Fly/Sail itinerary features the best of Antarctica and allows for more exploration, with no crossing of the Drake Passage. Get up close with iridescent icebergs, vast colonies of Adelie and gentoo penguins, as well as islands that are alive with leopard seals busy with courtship, bustling penguins and maybe feeding whales.
- Skip both Drake Passage crossings by flying directly to the ship
- Gorgeous long summer days on the peninsula
- Zodiac cruise in search of feeding whales
- Experience polar diving and polar snorkelling with expert guides* Surcharges apply
- Tour scientific research stations and historic huts
Day by day itinerary
Arrive in Punta Arenas and transfer to your downtown hotel to check in. The rest of the day is at your leisure before a group briefing about tomorrow's flight. The next day we transfer to Punta Arenas airport for our charter flight to King George Island. Please remember that we are flying to in very remote areas and flight schedules are dependent on weather, both in Punta Arenas & King George Island.
The Antarctic Peninsula's western flanks offer long days and relatively ice-free waters. We visit historic huts and Zodiac cruise through narrow straits and majestic icebergs, and if we're lucky, whale watch from the bow of the ship. A few landing points we hope to visit include Half Moon Bay, Lemaire Channel, Hydrurga Rocks and more. Expeditions onboard the Polar Pioneer will also venture into Weddell Sea if weather and ice conditions permit. We hope to visit the large Adelie and gentoo penguin colonies of Brown Bluff or Paulet Island, and fossil-rich Seymour Island. We may hike to spectacular vantage points on Beak or Devil Islands; large tabular icebergs and volcanic scenery create long lasting memories. Wherever we go, wildlife, Heroic Age relics and haunting landscapes await.
Debark the ship and fly back to Punta Arenas, transfer to hotel
Check out of the hotel.
Sailing on Greg Mortimer
The Greg Mortimer, named after Aurora Expeditions’ co-founder, utilises some of the latest advancements in naval design & technology to revolutionise the small ship expedition cruising experience.