At a glance
10 Day Cruise on AmaLea, AmaWaterways Cruises from £5,135 pp incl. flights
Departure 18 October 2019 | Romantic Danube and Orient Express Train
- Venice Simplon-Orient-Express
Romantic Danube and Orient Express Train
River Cruise and Rail Fares
- Direct flight on British Airways
- Shared overseas transfer to the river port
Includes on board
- 7 nights luxury accommodation in an outside stateroom
- Computer for internet access
- Entertainment on Demand system featuring, movies, TV shows, news and music
- Mini-fridge, desk and sitting area with bottled water replenished daily
- Personalized service from a highly trained Cruise Manager during both cruise and land programs
- Internet and Wi-Fi access
- Sun deck pool with swim-up bar and walking track
- Fitness room
- Main Lounge with panoramic views and bar
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
- All onboard dining in a variety of venues
- The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant
- Captain’s Welcome Cocktail and Dinner
- La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs exclusive dining experience
- Unlimited fine wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Unlimited sparkling wine and fresh juice with breakfast
- Sip & Sail Daily Cocktail Hour with complimentary wine, beer, spirits and soft drinks
- Tapas, sandwiches, snacks and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
- Immersive tours in every destination
- Bike tours and hikes
- Knowledgeable guides
- Personal headset for easy exploration
- Private transfer from the ship to the hotel
- Overnight accommodation at Sofitel Chain Bridge
- Private transfer to the train station
Includes on Venice Simplon-Orient-Express
- One night on the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express luxury train
- Dedicated Steward Service
- Welcome glass of sparkling wine
- Three course lunch
- Four course dinner
- Coffee, tea and petits fours
- Continental breakfast served in cabin
- Three course lunch
- Afternoon tea served with a glass of English sparkling wine aboard the Belmond British Pullman luxury train
Enjoy a luxury cruise on the award winning ships of AmaWaterways before indulging in the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express from Budapest to London.
Day by day itinerary
Fly direct to Munich where you will be met and transferred by shared coach to Vilshofen, where you will embark the river ship. This evening meet your fellow passengers on board and enjoy your welcome dinner.
Explore Vilshofen’s beautiful old town before cruising to Passau, known as the “City of Three Rivers." Join a walking tour or if you prefer to be more active, hike high into the hills for a visit to the “Veste Oberhaus,” Passau’s Castle Hill.
The ship arrives in Linz where you’ll have several choices of excursions. Opt for a fullday excursion to Salzburg where you’ll tour the historic center, Mirabell Gardens, Residenz Square and the Old Market. En route to Salzburg, stop at Mondsee, home of the famed Basilica St. Michael and site of the wedding scene in The Sound of Music. Alternatively, you can join a morning walking tour through Linz’s old city center and by the Mozart House; or go on a guided bike tour along the city’s famed “Culture Mile” and the Danube. During the afternoon, you have three more choices of excursions. Choose a half-day in Salzburg or take a scenic drive through the beautiful Austrian Lake District with a stop in St. Wolfgang. You can also choose to visit the charming mountain town, Český Krumlov, located just over the Czech-Austrian border.
Cruise through the Strudengau and Wachau valleys to Weissenkirchen, gateway to Dürnstein. Once here, you can choose to join a walking tour in Dürnstein along its cobblestone streets to the Baroque Stiftskirche, and then visit Melk’s magnificent Benedictine Abbey. For the more active adventurer, you can opt to hike up to the fortress where Richard the Lionheart was once held, or take a bike ride along the Danube. As an alternative excursion, visit a local apricot grower, where you’ll enjoy the region’s finest apricot treats.
Later in the evening, enjoy a special wine tasting of locally grown, world-renowned Riesling and Grüner Veltliner in Weissenkirchen.
The “City of Waltzes” offers a treasure trove of gems and your city tour showcases them, including the majestic Opera House and the former Imperial Palace. Your tour concludes in the historic city center with a visit to St. Stephen’s Cathedral. Or if you prefer a more active tour, take a guided bike ride to the Klosterneuburg Monastery. During the afternoon, enjoy leisure time to further explore this iconic city.
Host to the crowning ceremonies of 11 Hungarian kings and queens between 1536 and 1830, Bratislava certainly has earned the title “Coronation City of Kings,” as you’ll discover during your walking tour. Or join a special “Tastes of Slovakia” tour. For a more active adventure, hike up to Bratislava Castle, offering magnificent views of the city.
Your city tour begins at Budapest’s Great Market Hall, where you’ll discover plenty of delicious food and shopping. Afterwards, you’ll visit both the Buda (hilly) and Pest (flat) sides of the Danube River. You’ll see the 19th-century Chain Bridge, which connects the Buda district with Pest; and the UNESCOdesignated Castle Hill district, which contains some of Budapest’s most important medieval monuments and museums. As an alternative choice, you can hike up to Castle Hill for breathtaking views of the city below. Spend your last evening on board cruising past the famed Parliament Building as the city turns on all her dazzling lights
Debark the ship and take your included private transfer to the Sofitel Hotel for an overnight stay on a Room Only basis.
Depart from the beautiful city of Budapest in the morning for a luxurious overnight journey to London, where you arrive late afternoon the next day.
Enjoy a delicious lunch in one of the beautiful dining cars and relax on board as you enjoy the beautiful scenery. A selection of pastries are served by your steward in the comfort of your cabin. Before dinner visit the Bar Car to listen to the sounds of the baby grand piano. A delicious four-course dinner is served in one of the beautifully restored restaurant cars.
After dinner you may want to stroll through the carriages to admire the details, before you retire to your cabin, which has now been transformed into a cosy bedroom.
Continental breakfast is brought to you by your steward to enjoy in your cabin.
A delicious brunch is served in the restaurant cars as you travel on towards the Channel. After crossing the Channel board the Belmond British Pullman train for the journey to London.
A traditional afternoon tea accompanied by a glass of English sparkling wine is served, before arriving at your destination, London Victoria.
Sailing on AmaLea
The AmaLea – set to debut in 2018 – is a sister ship to the AmaKristina and features the most advanced design of any river cruise vessel currently in operation.