At a glance
9 Day Cruise on AmaSonata, AmaWaterways Cruises from £2,135 pp incl. flights
Departure 20 March 2020 | Melodies of the Danube - Budapest to Vilshofen
- Vilshofen an der Donau
Melodies of the Danube - Budapest to Vilshofen
Fly for free on all 2020 itineraries
Book your 2020 AmaWaterways River Cruise by 30 June 2019 and take advantage of free flights.
- Receive free flights and transfers on every departure for 2020 sailing in Europe
- Flights are available from all main UK Gateways as well as Belfast and Dublin
- On sale from 1st March 2019
- Departs from March 2020 to December 2020
Includes on board
- 7 nights luxury accommodation in an outside stateroom
- Computer for internet access
- Entertainment on Demand system featuring, movies, TV shows, news and music
- Mini-fridge, desk and sitting area with bottled water replenished daily
- Personalized service from a highly trained Cruise Manager during both cruise and land programs
- Internet and Wi-Fi access
- Sun deck pool with swim-up bar and walking track
- Fitness room
- Main Lounge with panoramic views and bar
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
- All onboard dining in a variety of venues
- The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant
- Captain’s Welcome Cocktail and Dinner
- La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs exclusive dining experience
- Unlimited fine wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Unlimited sparkling wine and fresh juice with breakfast
- Sip & Sail Daily Cocktail Hour with complimentary wine, beer, spirits and soft drinks
- Tapas, sandwiches, snacks and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
- Immersive tours in every destination
- Bike tours and hikes
- Knowledgeable guides
- Personal headset for easy exploration
Journey along the Danube and see firsthand why this storied river has inspired generations of artists, poets and musicians. Indulge your passion for timeless architecture and art in four magnificent capitals: Budapest, Bratislava, Vienna and Prague. Let the hills come alive with the sounds of music in Salzburg and the Austrian Lake District. Cruise through the enchanting Strudengau Valley and let the melodies of the Danube carry you from one gem to another on a regal journey through time.
Day by day itinerary
Arrive in Budapest and board your luxurious river cruise ship. During the evening, be treated to a special Illuminations cruise past the capital’s glittering riverfront.
Budapest offers an unmatched combination of culture, tradition and even a secret labyrinth of caves under the city. Your city tour begins with a visit to the Great Market Hall before going to both the Buda (hilly) and the Pest (flat) sides of the river. You’ll see Heroes’ Square and Castle Hill, home to the Fisherman’s Bastion and Mattias Church. As an alternative, you can hike up to Castle Hill for breathtaking views of the city below
Host to the crowning ceremonies of 11 Hungarian kings and queens between 1536 and 1830, Bratislava certainly has earned the title “Coronation City of Kings,” as you’ll discover during your walking tour. Or join a special “Tastes of Slovakia” tour. For a more active adventure, hike up to Bratislava Castle, offering magnificent views of the city.
The “City of Waltzes” offers a wealth of gems and your city tour showcases its regal splendors, including the majestic Opera House and the former Imperial Palace of the Habsburgs. Conclude your tour in Vienna’s historic city center and then visit St. Stephen’s Cathedral. Or if you prefer a more active exploration, take a guided bike ride to the Klosterneuburg Monastery. During the afternoon, enjoy leisure time to further explore this iconic city
After reaching Weissenkirchen, you’ll be treated to several choices of excursions. Take a walking tour of Dürnstein before visiting the UNESCO-designated Melk Abbey. Or opt for a walking tour of Weissenkirchen followed by an abbey visit. For a more culinary-focused experience, join a walking tour in Dürnstein, then enjoy a wine tasting hosted by a local vintner and sample special apricot treats from a local boutique. If you prefer a more active adventure, join a guided bike tour to Melk or hike up to the fortress where Richard the Lionheart was once held. Later in the day, sail through the Strudengau Valley to medieval Grein for an exclusive visit to the more than 500-year-old Greinburg Castle, looming regally from above. While here, enjoy a folklore show and wine reception
The ship arrives in Linz where you’ll have several choices of excursions. Opt for a full-day excursion to Salzburg where you’ll tour the historic center, Mirabell Gardens, Residenz Square and the Old Market. En route to Salzburg, stop at Mondsee, home of the Basilica St. Michael. Or join a morning walking tour through the old city center of Linz and by the Mozart House; or go on a bike tour of the city’s famed “Cultural Mile” and the Danube. During the afternoon, you have three more options. Choose a half-day excursion to Salzburg or take a scenic drive through the Austrian Lake District with a stop in St. Wolfgang. You can also choose to visit charming Český Krumlov, located just over the Czech-Austrian border.
Discover the city of Passau in one of three ways. Enjoy a walking tour and marvel at Gothic and Italian Baroque architecture and St. Stephen’s Cathedral. Or choose between a guided bike tour along the Danube River, or a guided hike up to the Veste Oberhaus fortress. Later, cruise to Vilshofen, where you will be treated to a festive Oktoberfest celebration— an AmaWaterways exclusive.
Discover the city of Passau in one of three ways. Enjoy a walking tour and marvel at Gothic and Italian Baroque architecture and St. Stephen’s Cathedral. Or choose between a guided bike tour along the Danube River, or a guided hike up to the Veste Oberhaus fortress. Later, cruise to Vilshofen, where you will be treated to a festive Oktoberfest celebration— an AmaWaterways exclusive
Bid farewell to Vilshofen and prepare for your flight home
Sailing on AmaSonata
Set sail aboard the deluxe MS AmaSonata in 2014 as you explore some of the greatest rivers within Europe.