Reach the Geographic North Pole, complete an Arctic Ocean crossing, discover Greenland’s extreme North East, or probe the icy wilderness of Antarctica…beginning in 2021, Le Commandant Charcot will be taking passengers in the footsteps of the great polar explorers aboard the newest addition to the fleet. With a refined onboard ambiance and luxury services, Le Commandant Charcot provides more than just conventional cruises, but true polar odyssey expeditions.
Drawing on more than two decades of experience in sensitive regions, PONANT is the only cruise company in the world to design its future itineraries in-house, with its own expedition teams. Thanks to exploratory visits, Environmental Impact Assessments and the protocols developed by the company, the itineraries of the Le Commandant Charcot will be established with the greatest respect for the environment.
The first ever PC2 Polar Class luxury cruise ship, this hybrid electric icebreaker is powered by Liquified Natural Gas—cutting edge technology that makes PONANT a pioneer in environmental protection.
Le Commandant Charcot features Perfected “Clean Ship” fittings that go beyond the current industry-standard environmental regulations:
- Reduction of SO2, NOX, CO2 and particle emissions thanks to the use of LNG
- Zero emissions when in electric hybrid mode
- Use of advanced diesel engine technology
- Compliance with new IMO (International Maritime Organization) 2020 regulation on Sulphur emission levels
- Compliance with ECA requirements (Emission Control Area)
- Energy optimisation system that precisely measures consumptions and optimisation of ship sailing methods
- Waste Heat Recovery System
- Electric output optimised and consumption reduced through the use of latest generation electric batteries
- Advanced Waste Water Treatment system