Bird Watching Cruises
On this selection of cruises and expedition voyages, you can view birds in their natural environment. Often these trips are escorted by qualified ornithologists, and there will be lectures and special tours and excursions for birders and twitchers.
Expect to see, depending on the time of year, geographical region and itinerary:
- Rockhopper, Gentoo, Macaroni, King, Adelie, Magellanic and Chinstrap Penguins.
- The Seychelles Bulbul and the Seychelles Black Parrot
- Aldabra Drongo and Aldabra Fody
- See the world’s largest Black-browed Albatross colony.
- See large numbers of Striated Caracara, Falkland Skuas and Southern Giant Petrels
- Spot Albatross species including Black-browed, Light-mantled Sooty, Grey-headed and the spectacular Wandering Albatross, plus thousands of King and hundreds of Macaroni Penguins.
- The endemic and endangered Reunion Cuckooshrike.
- Madagascar Serpent Eagle, Madagascar Buzzard, kingfisher and Paradise Flycatcher and Madagascar Fish Eagle
- Sooty Terns, nesting boobies and Great Frigatebirds, Blue Herons, Crested Terns, Whimbrels and plovers
- Siberian Rubythroat
- Discover huge concentrations of seabirds during breeding season: Northern Fulmars, puffins, guillemots, Black-legged Kittiwakes, auklets, and more.
- Steller Sea Eagle, Black-legged Kittiwakes, Tufted Puffins, Common Murres and Pelagic Cormorants , fulmars, kittiwakes, puffins, auklets, Crested, Parakeet and Whiskered Auklets
- Brown-headed Thrush and Siberian Rubythroats
- Pigeon Guillemot, and Pacific Loons.
- Steller Sea Eagle
- Arctic Warblers
- Pigeon Guillemots, Brünnich’s Guillemots, Common Guillemots, Black-legged Kittiwakes, Harlequin Ducks, Horned Puffins, White Wagtails, Pelagic Cormorants and Slaty-backed Gulls
- Horned Puffins, Black-legged Kittiwakes and Slaty-backed Gulls
- Brown-headed Thrush, Siberian Ruby-throats, Black-legged Kittiwakes, and Crested or Whiskered Auklets.
Aride is the northernmost island of the granitic Seychelles. The island hosts one of the most important seabird populations in the Indian Ocean with more breeding species than any other island in Seychelles. Eighteen species of native birds (including five only found in Seychelles) with over one million seabirds breed on Aride, including the world’s largest colonies of Lesser Noddy and Tropical Shearwater, the world’s only hilltop colony of Sooty Terns and the western Indian Ocean’s largest colony of Roseate Tern. There is the only breeding colony of Red-tailed Tropicbird east of Aldabra and huge numbers of Brown Noddy, White Tern and Wedge-tailed Shearwater. Thousands of Great Frigatebirds and Lesser Frigatebirds soar over the northern cliffs. Birders will look for the Seychelles Black Parrot.
This unique bird watching experience offers the chance to see all the birds you will wish to see on Santiago Island, Cape Verde Island, and perhaps a few more besides, as the guides know places where rare vagrants may show up. Of course the endemics are the highlights: Cape Verde Buzzard (Buteso bannermanni), Cape Verde Warbler (Acrocephalos brevipennis), Alexander‘s Swift (Apus alexandri) and Jago Sparrow (passer iagoensis). Special desert birds include Cream-coloured Courser (Cursorius exsuls), Hoopoe Lark (Alaemon alaudipes) and Black-crowned Sparrowlark (Eremopterix nigriceps). At the reservoir in Ribeira Secca there might be up to10 different herons: the endemic Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea bournei), plus Grey, Great White, Little White, Cattle Egret, Squacco, Night, Western Reef. Black Heron (Hydranassa ardesiaca) and Intermediate Heron (Egretta intermedia) are vagrants from Western Africa. Waders include stilts, plovers, sandpipers (sometimes an American spotted one!), snipes, whimbrels, and turnstones. If you have time enough wait until nightfall: the Barn Owl and the rare Little Shearwater (Puffinus boydi) might reward you.
Monkeys, sloths, iguanas, hummingbirds, toucans, and whales! By kayak, skiff, on foot, and small ship—uncover the wonders of jungles, mangroves, national parks, preserves, and the Panama Canal.
10 November 2017
for 10 days
£4,699 pp incl. flights / Master
£5,229 pp incl. flights / Commander
£5,579 pp incl. flights / Captain
San José • Manuel Antonio National Park • Osa Conservation Area • Coiba • Panama City
Join the world’s most illustrious explorers as you set foot on the white continent and embark on 19-exceptional days of excitement. Revel in the photographic opportunities as you become acquainted with the beauty of the Falkland Islands.
This is a tropical sun-soaked journey that lets you combine excursions into the Amazon rainforest and visits to tropical beaches with the experience of bustling city life. We set sail from Uruguay’s capital city, Montevideo and travel north along the coastline of Brazil.
13 March 2018
for 14 days
Call for price
Montevideo • At sea • At sea • At Sea • Fortaleza