Silversea Celebrate 25 years Anniversary
Silversea Cruises will pass a momentous milestone in 2019 by celebrating 25 years as the industry’s leading ultra-luxury cruise line.
Since first setting sail in 1994, Silversea has entertained almost half a million guests on approximately 4,100 voyages. Silversea’s ships have completed an accumulated total of over 47,800 cruise days, while the cruise line’s guests have travelled on a combined total of more than 9.4 million cruise days.
25 Years of Silversea
Bringing innovation to the cruise industry with a truly pioneering concept, Silversea was the world’s first all-inclusive ultra-luxury cruise line when it launched in 1994. Purpose-built Silver Cloud, the cruise line’s first ship, was unique as almost all suites included a personal balcony, and was christened in Monaco on 30 May 1994.
When Silversea was founded by the Lefebvre family 25 years ago, the vision was to launch a cruise line that had a truly global reach. This vision has been successfully realised, as Silversea today takes guests to over 900 destinations, from pole to pole – more than any other cruise line.
Silver Explorer, Silversea Expeditions
It was the launch of Silversea Expeditions in 2008 that pushed the boundaries of discovery further than the ultra-luxury industry had previously seen, with destinations inclding Antarctica in 2008, the Russian Arctic in 2012 and the first Northwest Passage crossing in 2014. And in 2019, Silversea’s guests will traverse the Northeast Passage for the first time, and in 2021 the cruise line will undertake the world’s first ever Expedition World Cruise .
Silver Cloud, the first ship for Silversea Cruises
From just one ship in 1994, Silversea’s guests today enjoy a fleet of nine ultra-luxury, intimate ships—and an additional five ships are on order. Following the launch of Silver Cloud in 1994, Silver Wind doubled the cruise line’s capacity in 1995. Silver Shadow and Silver Whisper were launched in 2000 and 2001, respectively. Silver Explorer, the cruise line’s first ice-class ship, unlocked expedition experiences around the world for guests from 2008. Silver Spirit joined the fleet in 2009, followed by Silver Galápagos in 2013 and Silver Discoverer in 2014.The cruise line’s flagship, Silver Muse, was launched in 2017 and inspired a fleet-wide ‘Musification’—the systematic refurbishment of Silversea’s ships, which is ongoing. In 2020, Silver Origin will sail the Galápagos, and Silver Moon will also join the fleet, followed by Silver Dawn in 2021 and the first of two new Evolution Class ships in 2022.
Fine food from around the world, complimentary drinks throughout the ship, and a butler for each suite are just some of the many luxurious amenities that Silversea’s guests have enjoyed since the launch of the cruise line in 1994.
Silversea Cruises loyal crew members
Silversea Cruises is proud to foster a family-like atmosphere and takes the opportunity of its 25th anniversary to recognise its loyal-most guests and crew—each of whom has made it possible to reach this significant milestone. The most loyal of Silversea’s guests have each accumulated more than 2,300 Venetian Sail days already, which equates to almost seven years spent aboard Silversea’s vessels. At its launch, Silversea began with just 25 land-based employees in Fort Lauderdale; at the end of 2018, there were 2,571 employees—comprising onboard crew and land-based employees in offices around the world.
Silversea 25-year Anniversary facts & figures
- Number of active guests, travelling since the company’s launch? Approximately 400
- Total number of members in Silversea’s Venetian Society? Approximately 490,000
- Total number of Silversea voyages? Approximately 4,100
- Total number of Venetian Society sail days? More than 9,400,000
- Number of employees who have been with Silversea since 1994/1995 (either continuously or otherwise)? 15
- Total number of cruise days during the last 25 years? Approximately 47,800
- Total number of refurbishment projects in the last 25 years? 14 projects, plus the planned refurbishments of Silver Shadow in 2019 and Silver Wind in 2020.
- Total number of nationalities represented across the crew? 82
- Total number of days Silversea has been in operation? Approximately 9,500 days
- Highest number of cruising days for one guest? 2,280 days, as of 19/5/2019
- Number of Captains in rotation? 15: Vincent Taillard, Cosimo Pontillo, Georgiev Chavdar, Gennaro Arma, Michele Macarone Palmieri, Luigi Rutigliano, Cataldo Destefano, Samuele Failla, Alessandro Zanello, Marco Sangiacomo, Eric Saint, Plancat, Andrey Domanin, Dariusz Grzelak, Tomasz Kulas, and Adam Boczek.
- First female Executive Chef within the company: Anne-Mari Cornelius
- Number of World Cruises? 14