Silver Spirit gets stretched
Silversea Cruises Silver Spirit has been cut in two at Fincantieri Shipyard in Palermo on March 10 as part of her planned lengthening. A prebuilt 15-metre (49-feet) segment has been inserted and the ship is now being reconnected. The new segment will offer more choice to her guests, with improved dining venues, a new café, a larger pool plus additional suites. The process will be completed by May 5, 2018, and will see Silver Spirit lengthened to 210.7m (691.3 ft.) - it will take approximately 450,000 man hours to complete the task. A rarely performed feat of maritime architecture, this type of lengthening has never before been employed for the extension of a luxury cruise ship.
Silver Spirit First Cut
Key enhancements of Silver Spirits lengthening:
• A total of 10 decks had to be cut
• Nearly 1,000 workers will be involved in the project
• A total of 90,000m of cables will be inserted
• The ship’s tonnage will increase from 36,009 tons to 39,519 tons.
• There will be an Increased choice of cuisine for diners, as well as new menus. Eight restaurants (previously six) will serve fine gastronomy and world-class wine.
• A new and innovative space, the Arts Café will host art exhibitions and provide a relaxed place for guests to unwind in the day and a lively cocktail lounge by night.
• The Zagara Spa - a state-of-the-art spa concept will offer guests the opportunity to indulge in luxurious treatments.
• The ship’s pool deck will be increased in size, creating more space for guests to relax and enjoy the sun.
• Guest accommodation will be embellished with a new look and feel, which will replicate the successful design that is employed aboard Silver Muse.
• There will be 26 additional Veranda suites, 6 additional Silver suites, and 2 additional Panorama suites.
“Witnessing these breathtaking phases of the Silver Spirit lengthening project has filled us with pride and excitement,” comments Barbara Muckermann, chief marketing officer of Silversea. “This ambitious project will amplify the onboard features that matter most to our guests. We are taking our flagship, Silver Muse – which was delivered by Fincantieri in April last year – as the point of inspiration for a fleet-wide renovation programme; the lengthening and refurbishment of Silver Spirit will replicate the modern elegance of our latest vessel to make for a more luxurious travelling experience. We are eager to share the new and improved layout of our cherished ship with our valued guests.”
Not only will Silver Spirit increase in length, but she will also increase in comfort. From an enhancement and a re-imagination of the ship’s public spaces to an increase in the number and quality of suites, each aspect of the lengthening project has been designed with guest enjoyment in mind. Based on the chic décor found aboard Silver Muse, Silver Spirit will benefit from beautiful interior design upgrades throughout.
Departing on May 6, 2018, Silver Spirit will recommence her service with a seven-day cruise between Civitavecchia (Rome) and Barcelona.
New restaurants on Silver Spirit
After the ship has been lengthened, Silver Sprit guests will enjoy a choice of eight dining venues:
Authentic Italian recipes using fresh sustainable ingredients such as buffalo mozzarella from Naples, organic balsamic vinegar and olive oil from Umbria, and air-dried ham out of Parma.
Located outside by the pool on Silver Spirit, The Grill features innovative lava stone cooking in the evening and gourmet salads and burgers during the day. Sourced from volcanic rock and placed in an oven to reach an optimum temperature of 400˚C, The Grill invites guests to cook their food directly at their table.
This restaurant offers guest a fusion of flavours from Japan using natural seasonal flavours enhanced with traditional cooking methods. The dining experience is enhanced as guests can watch the chefs perform at “La Table du Chef” - the centre stage cooking area.
This Asian themed dining room serves culinary delights from India, Thailand and Vietnam in a stylish restaurant.
This elegant bar and grill dining area serves seafood such as royal crab, blue lobster and Verbena infused red snapper, alongside traditional cuts of steak.
This dining experience is the French restaurant on board Silver Spirit, where fine wines are paired with a tasting menu of regionally inspired dishes.
This intimate restaurant on Silver Spirit serves tapas-style dishes whilst guests enjoy the sounds of jazz and blues.
Named after a famous street in Naples, this area serves traditional pizzas using the freshest ingredients and authentic dough recipes, cooked in a traditional wood-fired oven.