Berlitz publish River Cruising guide
June 2014 see's the release of the newly published guide book to river cruising - Berlitz: River Cruising in Europe - written by Douglas Ward and his team. Douglas Ward travels up to 200 days each year aboard the world's ocean-going cruise ships and river boats. He is best known for Berlitz Cruising & Cruise Ships, the annual guide to ocean cruising.
This new guide rates over 280 riverships independently and cuts through the hype of the river cruise brochures to help readers make an informed choice.
Ward's new book gives the lowdown on the pleasures and pitfalls of river cruising, with unbiased advice on what to expect and where to go. He provides candid reviews of all the major river cruise companies operating in the heart of Europe: which companies offer the best facilities, layout, food and accommodation, and rates the individual riverships on the same criteria.
With around one million people each year choosing to cruise on riverships, the guide will be invaluable for both river cruise novices and converts, as well as for those in the travel industry.
Ward concentrates on the cruises that can be purchased through specialist travel agents and tour operators, and on seven key rivers in Europe:
Among the topics and highlights covered in the book are:
- Lifting the lid on what the dining experience is really like
- Booking and budgeting - any hidden extras?
- What to do if...
- 10 good reasons to take a river cruise
- What the brochures don't say
- Dream getaway or a claustrophobic holiday nightmare - the pros and cons of river cruising
- A day in the life of a rivership
- A guide to the main river cruise ports and routes of Europe, with maps and top sights
- Barge cruising - the essentials of life in the slow lane.
The first edition of Berlitz: River Cruising in Europe (published June 2014, 256 pages, £14.99) is available from all good bookshops.
- Read our guide to luxury river cruises.